Ecommerce SEO: How To Do Keyword Research For An Ecommerce Website
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and keyword research are important pillars that significantly affect the success of an eCommerce business. It is impossible to overstate the importance of SEO for eCommerce websites.
What is eCommerce SEO?
Simply put, it is the process of optimizing your website content by integrating the right keywords in your titles, descriptions, articles, and even images.
Daunting as it seems, creating search engine optimized content is actually quite straightforward once you know the best practices that will boost your website’s rankings.
To help you get started on your eCommerce SEO strategy, this guide covers all the essential SEO tips for eCommerce sites.
Why is Keyword Research Important for eCommerce SEO?
SEO for eCommerce can help you grow your business, and for this, you need a robust keyword strategy.
Keyword research involves finding key terms, phrases, and even questions that customers use when looking up information or products online.
When beginning any SEO campaign, it is vital to understand the keyword phrases that customers use. You can then leverage these terms to improve your visibility in search engines for specific topics.
With eCommerce SEO keywords, you can reach your target audience by using the terms that appeal to them and speaking their language. These phrases will help you add value to your content and make your blog posts, product pages, and landing pages rank higher in search results for relevant queries.
eCommerce keywords will bring your content to the right audience and drive high-quality traffic to your website.
eCommerce SEO Basics
You must know how to pick the right eCommerce keywords to monitor, and what should be part of your eCommerce SEO checklist for your efforts to be successful.
An effective eCommerce SEO campaign involves the following:
- Finding the right keywords and knowing how to use them
- Monitoring competitors' websites
- Consistently updating your content
- Simplifying your website’s architecture and navigation
- Optimizing product pages and listings
- Pursuing backlinks from high-quality sites
All these elements combined ensure that your eCommerce SEO campaign will successfully boost organic traffic and increase your conversion rates.
Using keywords with a high volume is a critical aspect of any successful SEO campaign.
How do you find these high-volume keywords?
How to Find Keywords?
The most effective ways to find the best eCommerce SEO keywords can be divided into two categories: doing your own research and exploring competitors.
Here are the different ways you can find keyword phrases that work.
1. Exploring Marketplaces
Studying popular eCommerce marketplaces, especially Amazon, should be one of the first steps in keyword research.
Amazon is the largest eCommerce platform, and millions of consumers worldwide search for products there. Understanding which Amazon keywords are popular will help you figure out which phrases you should be using.
Go to Amazon and look up a keyword that would describe your products. If you sell bags and luggage and want to determine the most popular keywords for handbags for women, you can start by typing “handbags.” The Amazon algorithm will immediately provide a list of related phrases, such as “handbags and purses” or “handbags for women.”
This simple search will give you insights into the most popular categories and related keywords for your product, and you can add them to your keyword list.
You can also view popular Amazon listings for products similar to yours to gauge what customers are looking for. Knowing what products are in high demand is incredibly helpful for creating a successful SEO eCommerce listing.
2. Google Trends
Once you have a few basic keywords from Amazon, it’s time to shift to Google, as this is the most popular search engine through which customers might locate you.
When you start typing your keywords into the Google search bar, pay attention to the related suggestions provided by the algorithm. Then, scroll to the bottom of your search results and look at the “related queries” section.
Everything you see in these two areas is significant to your overall eCommerce marketing strategy. These are crucial keywords that you must include in your list. You can also use these phrases for another search on Amazon and repeat the process to get as many options as possible.
3. Keyword Research Tools
Once you’ve got a reasonable amount of keywords from Google and Amazon, you need to use a keyword research tool to gain more insights. Ahrefs, MOZ, and SEMRush can help you refine your keyword list.
These tools provide important information about these keyword phrases, including search volume and the potential for ranking higher. This will help you select and finalize what keywords you should focus on to improve your website’s SEO performance.
When selecting which keywords to use, pay attention to these analytics:
- Search Volume - The number of consumers searching for a particular term and can also indicate the amount of competition.
- Ranking Difficulty - Determines your chances of improving your ranking. High difficulty means that you face a lot of competition. It is generally better to target keywords with a lower ranking difficulty.
- Search Relevance - A keyword's relevance to your particular eCommerce product, company, or listing.
Evaluating these metrics will help you determine the most effective and high-performing keywords that you can use.
Keep these pointers in mind to ensure that you find appropriate keywords that actually help your business grow:
- Understand the psychology or mentality of your target audience and potential customers: when and why are they searching for a particular product?
- Use keyword tools to select phrases that will convert. This includes long-tail keywords.
- If you run your eCommerce business on Shopify, use helpful SEO tools like SEO Booster.
- Study the market and understand seasonal trends in eCommerce to understand which products are already popular, which will become popular, and which are decreasing in demand and why.
- Find a few niche keywords and use them to build authority in that particular niche.
- Choose 3 to 5 main keywords with less competition so you can rank higher.
Armed with the knowledge of how to conduct SEO keyword research and these helpful tips to guide you along the way, you’re all set to develop an effective eCommerce SEO strategy and create high-performing content!
ComboApp eCommerce marketing agency helps e-commerce businesses with ideation and validation, app and website design and development, implementing marketing campaigns, as well as SEO and content marketing. Interested? Let’s talk. Contact us to get started.