Yahoo Launches Mobile Developer Suite
Recently, Yahoo launched a complex solution for successful mobile app marketing. The platform is designed to help developers understand, measure, advertise, monetize and enhance their apps. Yahoo’s Mobile Developer Suite has five new products: Flurry Analytics Explorer, Yahoo App Publishing, Yahoo App Marketing, Yahoo Search in Apps, and Flurry Pulse.
This suite reaffirms Yahoo’s commitment to its growing businesses – mobile, social, native and video. Yahoo hopes that through this effort it will be able to attract more mobile developers for its properties and foster greater mobile usage of its sites. Developers are to create more apps and attract more users to its site through an improvement in user experience. Yahoo aims to further tap into the mobile ad industry, which is expected to grow to $40 billion by 2019.
These technologies are the combination of efforts from Yahoo, Flurry (which joined Yahoo in August 2014) and BrightRoll (which Yahoo acquired in December).
Here’s an explanation of what each of the products can do, from the press release:
- Flurry Analytics Explorer – An update on the Flurry Analytics developers have come to know and love, developers can now answer even more complex questions with Explorer, an easy-to-use data exploration interface that returns insights in seconds. No need to write code, build queries, wait for calculations, or implement a new SDK.
- Flurry Pulse – Flurry Pulse makes it easy for developers to share app signals with partners using their existing Flurry SDK implementations and the click of a button. Pulse can help limit SDK proliferation and additional engineering work, by pushing signals from your app to your partners of choice.
- Yahoo App Publishing – With the same tools that we use to successfully monetize our own apps, developers can now monetize their apps with high-quality native, video and display ads using the combined capabilities of Yahoo Gemini, BrightRoll and Flurry. This combination offers developers the most engaging, seamless, beautiful advertising experience for users and the most effective advertising formats to monetize their apps.
- Yahoo Search in Apps – This offering makes it easy for developers to integrate Yahoo Search directly into their apps. This enhances the user experience by allowing users to search the web from within the app, and can create an additional monetization channel for developers.
- Yahoo App Marketing – With the power of Yahoo Gemini, one of the fastest growing native and mobile search marketplaces, developers can efficiently acquire new users, grow engagement and track results. Developers can buy targeted native and video advertising across Yahoo’s network of premium content, Tumblr and thousands of mobile apps. Through Yahoo app marketing, developers can use just one platform to gain exposure to an enormous audience of highly engaged and active users across desktop, mobile and social.
Сomparison of leading analytics providers with analytics solutions provided in the brand new Mobile Developer Suite.
|Flurry Flurry Analytics:
The main advantage is pricing. The product is free at any scale, which poises it to undercut Mixpanel. Flurry is also launching Flurry Pulse, which lets developers securely share any of their data with their partners with ease. No additional code needs to be written.
|Free, multiple dashboards, user paths and funnels||Multiple clicks required to get info, errors/crashes hard to identify, no cohort analysis|
|Universal Analytics (Google) Universal Analytics by Google:
The Google Analytics for mobile apps SDK was first only available in beta and is now part of Universal Analytics (out of beta since April 2014). Behavior/Engagement, Mobile App Conversion.
|Cross device measurement with User ID, lots of the needed features, easier to learn if you already used GA, integration with Google Play for conversion tracking, app overview gives you reports organized in four categories: Acquisitions, Mobile App Audience/Users, Mobile App||No cohort analysis, no integration with iTunes for conversion (I don’t see that happening), limited features for detailed analysis|
An event-based analytics tool for account creation, sharing, upgrade, purchase, etc. You have to define events and event properties for your app.
|Event-based and easy to create funnels, nice UI and allows in-depth analysis, can tie web to mobile, cohort analysis||Limited in data points in free version|
Ties app analytics, users acquisition and marketing solutions.
|Easy to use, unlimited apps in free version, cohort-based retention, heatmaps, funnels, LTV.||Limited data points or monthly active users in free version (but, recently they’ve extended number of data points and monthly active users)|
|KissMetrics: MyAnalytics service for mobile.||Offers more advantageous pricing terms, highly-flexible custom data with an extremely simple API, detailed data on funnels and conversions easy to track and interpret||More tailored for web-analytics, no reporting interface measuring retention, limited features in free version|
The main advantage of Mobile Developer Suite resides in providing the mobile ecosystem players a complex approach featuring analytics, advertising, publishing and search. The monetization model offered for the Flurry Analytics package is more advantageous to users: no data points or average user limitations, all analytical data is available and free. Overall, Yahoo’s platform is a smart play because it provides free analytics and monetization tools to developers, which later on would be monetized by Yahoo on advertising products, as it was previously done by other complex platforms for mobile, like Facebook or Twitter – the mobile ad tech industry consolidation trend is still continuing, and for this time – this is the Yahoo’s turn to grow in mobile!
Branded Content Manager at ComboApp